Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bugzilla: Round 2 (continued)

So what happens when your ISP blocks port 80 and 25. Well... Bugzilla cannot be accessed and emails cannot be sent... kinda useless then huh?

Changing the apache listening port from 80 to something else is quite easy:

>sudo gvim /etc/apache2/ports.conf
Change the 'Listen' port to your own preference
>sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
>sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start

That should fix the port 80 problem.

Now for the port 25 problem. I originally tried to get sendmail to use an alternate port for sending emails. However, this attempt was unsuccessful. I also tried installing postfix, but nothing worked. I then tried to connect to an external smtp server like smtp.gmail.com:587. However, this required TSL to be enabled, and I couldn't find any settings in Bugzilla that would support it. Interestingly enough though, I found a patch to add username/password to the SMTP configurations that will be included in the next Bugzilla:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bugzilla/+bug/133903

I then found out that my own ISP, Shaw, had an email server. I hope I'm not using it illegally, but there is no authentication required for mine. I ended up setting configuration to use SMTP rather than sendmail, and added the SMTP server from Shaw. I then restarted apache2 for safe measures, and VOILA! Bugzilla with emails!

Obviously, this is a workaround which uses an external SMTP server, but it works! Maybe if I have more time, I will play with sendmail and see if I can get it to work. In the meantime... I'm happy!


W

No comments: