Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Ubuntu + AMD64 + Flash

Well, apparently, this combination just doesn't go well together. I'm running Gutsy right now, and having a horrible time with Flash. I've already tried using the install script given in the Ubuntu forums, only to have it half working. Sometimes, everything plays, sometimes, nothing plays. I can usually get YouTube working, but there are some Flash sites that just don't work.

I was recently trying to play a .swf file by simply dragging it into FireFox. To my dismay, I ended up with a gray screen. Sucks!

I finally found a workaround... at least for .swf files. I downloaded the Windows Flash Player 9 Projector content debugger (standalone player) from the Adobe site. I then created a launcher using the command:

wine /path/to/standalone_player

BAM! It works wonderfully. However, still no hope for the stuff that is online T.T


W

No comments: