Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ubuntu + Ekiga

Ubuntu comes bundled with Ekiga, which is a VoIP program. It is something like Skype. I wanted to test this out and see how well it worked. I had a little bit of a problem configuring it though and would like to share my solution.

When using the configuration assistant, I was stuck at step 5, which told me that I had a symmetric NAT. If you don't run into this problem, then the configuration should go smoothly and you should have no problems. Anyways, back to my problem. Ekiga cannot run with a symmetric NAT. If you find any scripts to run in order to get Ekiga working, DO NOT run it. I tried one that I found on a wiki, and I lost my internet connection. It basically changed my iptables. No worries though if you did... just reboot your machine and everything will be reset back to a working state.

The script was made for older versions of Ekiga (much older) and is now of no use. The easiest way to get Ekiga working is to use port triggering on your router:

Service Name: STUN (or anything you like)
Triggering Port: 3478 (UDP)
Inbound Ports: 5000-5100 (UDP)

This should do it. Rerun step 5, and it should not report a Cone NAT. This is now acceptable and you can continue with the configuration.

Enjoy!


W

No comments: