Friday, February 15, 2008

Ubuntu Screensavers

It's usually very normal to use a screensaver... they're pretty! Well... don't try with Ubuntu's pre-installed screensavers. There may be incompatibility with my computer which caused this, but I'm not sure.

What happened was that when I set my screensaver to braid (I was browsing the screensavers), my Ubuntu froze. I couldn't do anything. Not even Ctrl + Alt + F1 would bring me to a console. I ended up having to press the Shutdown button on my computer! Then when I got back in and tried to change the screensaver back to blank, it would freeze because it was generating the preview for braid... ARGH!!! Also, whenever the screensaver would come on, it would also freeze Ubuntu!

I spent a while trying to figure out how to change the screensaver back to blank... with no luck, but at least I found many people were having the same problems. I then decided to just look around myself and BINGO!

> gedit ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver/%gconf.xml

Change the screensaver property back to:

screensaver-none

This changes the screensaver back to blank... which I had no problems with to begin with... never touching this thing again unless I know it's ok.


W

No comments: