Monday, April 28, 2008

Hardy Heron Connection Problem

Just upgraded to Hardy two days ago. Is it nice? Yes. Is there any problems with it? Yes.

Installation was fast as usual, took around 20 mins. Video settings, sound card, network card ... are all setup and ready to go after the system rebooted itself. Firefox 3 looks better than ever, however, I can't seem to get a connection?!?

What's more weird is that I can actually goto google.com, but everything else will time out on me!
After hours of searching, some dude suggested that I should decrease the MTU (maximum transmission unit) from 1500 (standard for ethernet) to 1492 by typing the following command

sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

amazingly, my connection is back to normal! (if anyone know why that is, can you please educate me on this issue? I really like to know the reason behind this!)


J

No comments: