Monday, December 17, 2007

Debugging

So the debugging that comes packaged with RadRails is a little bit slow... well, not even a little bit slow, it's tremendously slow! I had run the debugger before, and I guess I was doing some simple debugging and so I didn't notice the time it took to start and debug (or maybe I just expected it to be slow?).

Anyways, I was running some new test cases and they were failing when they should have been working. So, I pulled out my trusty debugger, and lo and behold, it took so long that I left and came back about 5 minutes later and it was still running! I ended up stopping it, as my friend, J, had reported a similar problem earlier. He told me about some sort of fast-debugging gem. I quickly googled it and found a gem that works with RadRails.

Instructions can be found here:

http://www.aptana.com/docs/index.php/Fast_Rails_Debugging_using_Aptana_Rails_IDE

If you ever need to debug, a huge time-saving suggestion would be to install this gem and use it!


W

No comments: